Family

I am so incredibly blessed with the family my Heavenly Father has given me. As I look back at the start of our life together, it was the Spirit that guided me to stay at BYU during the Summer of 2006. I was going to go home and work some job, but really had the impression that I should stay. After a heartbreaking realization that I wasn't going to marry a certain person and didn't love the other nice guy I had been dating, I felt like I needed to stay at BYU. So, I did. I had practically no roommates for the first month and a half because they were from Provo and pretty much lived at their houses and just kept some stuff at our apartment. It was lonely until my Freshman and Soph roommate, Laura, came and lived with me the second half of the summer. I had been playing soccer every week with a group of people and had so much fun! Laura was even a good sport and I drug her with me on occasion. Well, this particular Saturday at soccer, this kid who had come a bunch of times, Jess, happen to bring his friend. His friend thought he was hot stuff, a little cocky. He played soccer too and tried to show off and that didn't exactly turn me on. Well, Jess just happen to live in the same apartment complex as us, so we all went back and swam afterward. We all chatted for a bit, but I had a date that night, so I had to leave early from swimming. Laura, later let me know that Jess's friend asked when she was going to make them dinner and she said tomorrow! Ya! So they came over the next day, a Sunday, and ate spaghetti with Laura and I, my date from the previous night, Jess and his friend. Long story shorter, but my date ended up feeling like a 3rd wheel because me and that cocky soccer kid, Aaron, hit it off. It was a surprise to me because I had never dated anyone like him, so forward and honest about their feelings. He never left me guessing. I wish I could say I did the same. :-) He told me he loved me the first week. He knew he wanted to be with me. I thought that was crazy. But, things progressed and I fell in love with him too. And 8 years after we met, we have 4 beautiful children and a great life together. What if I had never listened to that still small voice and stayed at BYU? I don't know or even want to know what could have happened, but I am glad I was in a good place at that time in my life that I could hear it whisper to me and act on it. My family is My Everything. It takes work every day, it can be hard and frustrating. But oh, is it worth the effort and the work. "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it." Yes, that is my new favorite quote. I was called to be a wife and a mom, even though I grew up telling my friends I didn't want kids! Yes, I thought I didn't want any. But Heavenly Father knew me better than I knew myself And he had something amazing in store for me.  
My family is My Everything.

Comments

Mimi Collett said…
What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing. :)

Popular Posts